Milton A. Fuentes, PsyD
Dr. Fuentes serves as a consultant to institutions of higher education, community-based agencies, and corporate clients, assisting them to center equity, diversity, and inclusion (EDI) in their mission and strategic planning efforts. Dr. Fuentes is currently a professor in the psychology department at Montclair State University as well as a licensed psychologist in New Jersey and New York.
- National Leader, including the American Psychological Association’s Board for the Advancement of Psychology in the Public Interest, Committee on Ethnic Minority Affairs, and the Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Collaborative
- Predoctoral fellowship in clinical and community psychology at Yale University
- Doctorate in Clinical Psychology from the Graduate School of Applied and Professional Psychology at Rutgers University, where he received extensive training in program planning and evaluation
- Post-doctoral training in epidemiology at Columbia University
- 2012 President of the National Latinx Psychological Association
- Author of numerous books, book chapters, and journal articles, focusing on Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
- Member of the Motivational Interviewing Network of Trainers
Fuentes, M. A., Reyes-Portillo, J. A., Tineo, P., Gonzalez, K., & Butt, M. (2021). Skin color matters in the Latinx community: A call for action in research, training, and practice. Hispanic Journal of Behavioral Sciences, 43(1–2), 32–58. https://doi.org/10.1177/0739986321995910
Tineo, P., Lowe, S. R., Reyes-Portillo, J. A., & Fuentes, M. A. (2021). Impact of perceived discrimination on depression and anxiety among Muslim college students: The role of acculturative stress, religious support, and Muslim identity. American Journal of Orthopsychiatry, 91(4), 454–463. https://doi.org/10.1037/ort0000545
Fuentes, M. A., Zelaya, D. G., & Madsen, J. W. (2021). Rethinking the course syllabus: Considerations for promoting equity, diversity, and inclusion. Teaching of Psychology, 48(1), 69-79. https://doi.org/10.1177/0098628320959979
Fuentes, M. A.,Semelford, J., Marcillo, M., Pruitt, P., Rago-Craft, Z., Quick, T. & Stephens, V. (2020). A resource guidebook for promoting safe and inclusive campuses. NJ Office of the Secretary of Higher Education. https://www.state.nj.us/highereducation/documents/pdf/workinggroups/SafeandInclusiveLearningEnvironment-FullDocument.pdf
Fuentes, M. A., Singer, R., & DeBoard-Lucas, R. (2022). Preventing child maltreatment: Multicultural considerations in the United States. Rutgers University Press.
Philips, M., Moore, S, & Fuentes, M. A. (2022). Preventing child Maltreatment in the US: The Black community perspective. Rutgers University Press.
Ross, R, Greene, J., & Fuentes, M.A. (2022). Preventing child Maltreatment in the US: The American Indian and Alaska Native perspectives. Rutgers University Press.
Fuentes, M., Zelaya, D.G., Butt, M., & Delgado-Romero, E. (in press). Open science: Friend, foe, or both to an antiracist psychology. Psychological Review.